Monday, May 09, 2005

Programming - Is the word worn out?

You know, I'm wondering if there doesn't need to be a new word for programming. I mean, it's a fine word and all, but it already has too much baggage and history.

How can we get young people interested in programming? We need a new word. One of those cool (kewl?), hip new words. Something that implies a sense of fun and excitement. When the web was born, the word surf was adopted.

Obviously we cannot just come up with a fresh new word and apply it to the technically mundane programming languages like Java, C++ (or Fortran). The word has to apply to a new and fresh kind of programming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

99% of the time I use the word "Coding" to refer to the act of programming a computer, and "Coder" to refer to a person who programs a computer.

[In my opinion] So, if programmer sounds lame (which it doesn't... much...), say coder/coding.

Carl Gundel said...

I certainly didn't mean to say that programmer sounds lame. I just think the word carries too much baggage. How can you interest young people in anything these days unless there is a cool jargon name for it? ;-)