Sunday, July 10, 2005

JASIC?

Someone recently mentioned a new up and coming BASIC language product called KBASIC and asked me what I thought. I went to Google and found the site. What I discovered there was so complicated that it reminded me of programming in Java using the Eclipse IDE. Eclipse is an excellent IDE, at least in the sense that it makes programming in Java practical (possible?). You need all the power of Eclipse because Java is a big, heavy and complicated way to write software.

KBASIC seems to emulate Java. Even the style of object orientation presented is very Java-like or C#-like and some syntax is borrowed directly from Java. Why do this? BASIC shouldn't need an industrial strength IDE that is as complicated as the cockpit of an F-15.

This is the sort of thing I am trying to avoid with the new BASIC programming language I'm working on. Java is a mountain of rules and exceptions that the programmer must navigate, never forgetting to dot i's and cross t's. Why make a BASIC that emulates Java? This is the sort of thing that caused outcry when Microsoft did away with Visual Basic and replaced it with VB.Net.

I know that some people enjoy mastering complexity, perhaps as a way to find satisfaction in their work. This is incompatible with the way BASIC programming should be. BASIC should be small, simple and fun.

4 comments:

Rogue said...

why not just avoid the BASIC standard all together, and make your own based on that idea, simple, easy, fun?

Isaac Raway said...

I hate that you have so much spam here, but I hope this will get through. I agree with your appraisal of KBasic, it was the most terrible basic IDE I've ever seen. It was in many ways worse than XBasic.

Now I have to be honest: Libery Basic isn't really my cup of tea. I wanted to like it, don't get me wrong, but there were just a few things that I just couldn't swallow.

Maybe this is the the place, but I just wanted to understand the reasoning behind using the PRINT command and sending string commands to objects. Couldn't the same functionality be provided with a bit of syntax adjustment? Even if the generated code is technically "printing" to the objects, why do we have to know that in the source?

That said, I have just discovered Just Basic and I think it's awesome. I have been looking for a language for a friend of mine who just wants to dabble in programming a bit. I think it'll be perfect for her. I love that it's a simple, self contained language that still includes a form editor. Beset of all? It actualy works. That's just gold.

Anyway, hope you are well.

-Isaac
http://blueapples.org

S. Saint-Pettersen said...

I agree with what you mean about trying to over complicate things. I was trying to work on a simple language myself.

BTW Sorry to see that your blog has been spammed with with this 'home loans' garbage that isn't relevant to anything you said.

Affordable Luxurious Wedding Dress Blog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.