Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Amazon's EC2 and Run BASIC?

I've been trying to figure out how to provide hosting for Run BASIC users. Someone had asked, so I suggested Amazon's EC2 system. I had read about it somewhere, and then it was recommended to me while I was being interviewed here.

The idea that I've been toying with is to charge a reasonable monthly fee like $15 for a Run BASIC user account on a VPS on EC2. A single instance of a VPS costs about $75 a month, and additional instances are created and removed as load changes.

So far things aren't looking really encouraging. Jerry Muelver has been looking into this matter, and so far it looks like a difficult matter to set up. Documentation is not easy to follow, and it just seems like a real hair puller. Check it out Jerry's story here.

2 comments:

David den Haring said...

1and1 (www.1and1.com) has VPS servers starting at $29.00/mo with a current special of $14.50/mo for the first three months.

Carl Gundel said...

That's great as long as the service is reliable. The other thing is that EC2 automatically scales. If you need more servers they get started up automatically and shut back down when load decreases.