Tuesday, January 16, 2024

The Heart Behind Liberty BASIC

 As the creator of Liberty BASIC, I want to share the story behind this programming language, a project born out of my passion for making programming accessible, fun, and wondrous for everyone.  My journey in the realm of coding began with the magical experience of BASIC, a language that opened the doors to the world of software creation for me. I want to bring that same sense of excitement and possibility to others through Liberty BASIC.

What makes this especially inspiring I think is that Liberty BASIC was originally meant to be a programming game, where the player programmed robots in BASIC.

Bringing Back the Magic of BASIC

When I realized that the BASIC I was writing for the robot game would become a real programming tool, I decided to go for it!  My idea for Liberty BASIC was to recapture the spirit of the early days of BASIC. BASIC was the gateway for many into programming. It was simple, inviting, and allowed immediate interaction and results. My vision was to reignite that spark of wonder, making programming as much fun as it was for me when I first started.

Simplicity and Approachability

At the heart of Liberty BASIC lies its simplicity and approachability. The language is designed to be easy to learn and use, especially for those who are new to programming. It’s like giving someone a set of simple, intuitive tools to start building their dream projects right away.

Fun and Immediate Results

One of the unique features of Liberty BASIC is how it makes programming fun. I believe in the power of seeing your work come to life quickly. Beginners should be able to write a few lines of code and immediately see a window pop up, a graphic drawn, or a simple game come to life. This immediate feedback is not just rewarding; it's crucial in maintaining enthusiasm and interest in learning.

Liberty BASIC vs. Other Languages

While other languages like Python and JavaScript are powerful and versatile, they can be daunting for beginners.  I've always tried very hard to balance simplicity with capability. 

My Vision and Journey

My personal journey with programming has always been about the joy of creating and of learning new ways to think. With Liberty BASIC, I wanted to offer a tool that makes programming feel like an adventure, not a chore. It's been heartwarming to see people of all ages take their first steps in programming with Liberty BASIC, discovering the same joy and wonder that I found years ago.

In essence, Liberty BASIC is more than just a programming language; it's a celebration of the simplicity, fun, and wonder that programming can bring. It's been a wonderful journey that I am eager to invite others to join.

Links

        Liberty BASIC website 

        Liberty BASIC community forum  

        Liberty BASIC video playlist  

No comments: